I got some Scurl!

scurl

My friend Irene got me some Scurl Curl No Drip Activator Moisturiser from Zimbabwe.  I was so grateful.  We haven’t had this moisturiser in South Africa for some time now.  This is one of the first moisturisers I used when I started taking proper care of my hair.  I even did a post on it back in 2011.  I found it really moisturising back then, I wondered if I would feel the same this time round.

The first thing I noticed is that the ingredients have changed.  I wondered if I would still like it or if the change in formula would affect its efficacy.  They have added oils (argan and olive oil) and they have also removed parabens.  The main ingredients (water, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol and propylene glycol) remain the same.  I’m happy to say I still love this moisturiser.  Along with the change in formula is also a change in fragrance.  The moisturiser now has a sweet smell.  I don’t really mind the new smell because it’s quite light.

Regular readers will know that my last relaxer was more than a year ago.  I have major new growth on my head!  This moisturiser made it very soft and to detangle.  My hair has become quite difficult to handle with the two different textures I have on my head but this moisturiser makes it much easier.  I will definitely make sure I don’t run out.  I will make sure I ask my friends and relatives for more bottles when I run out.

Irene bought the moisturiser for US$6 (approximately R66) in Pick n Pay Kamfinsa (Harare, Zimbabwe).  It’s a 236ml / 8fl oz bottle.

Ingredients

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Argan Oil, Olive Oil,  Acetamide MEA, Ceteth-20, Olealkonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Panthenol, Simethicone, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Coumarin, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone

Any of you using Scurl Activator Moisturiser?  What do you think of it?

Comments

1. Yvonne-Dairy of a relaxed chic says

I absolutely live s curl fot my new growth, I have not used the new formula buy am sure it will be just as great. You really sorts out the new growth deep in a stretch. Let me know how you like the new formula

2. Mai T says

I’m also using SCurl to help keep my new growth moisturised, works perfectly. I’m only 14 weeks post thou, not as long as you. I can still get the old formula here in London, I haven’t tried the new one yet. Can’t wait to see your relaxer results after such a long stretch!

3. says

I am left with very little of the one my friend brought for me from Canada :-( I Love S-Curl and I have searched for it in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and France… My friend has tried several different African countries and finally found it in Canada. I am SO glad you have spotted it in ZImbabwe… Its a little pricey at $6 but well worth every cent. I will be sending my relatives that live there to stock me a few bottles for sending during the week. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

4. Gertrude Ruwa Thompson says

Hey Tendayi,

Lucky fish. I just spent the entire weekend driving around in Joburg looking for the Revlon Super Soft Activator and I cannot find any in all the stores. My hair is dry and miserable because I would mix water and this product and spray my hair now…
    Any idea where exactly I can buy it, specific location or if it has been phased out?

Thanks for the post.

5. Heldi says

Hi Tendayi :) so i have seen this new hair growth pills, going around on instagram, called “Hairfinity” and the results are amazing. Have you heard anything about it yet?

6. Annabell says

Hi Tendayi, i do love your blog and follow it as often as i can. be blessed always. Question on Scurl No drip, can i use it on natural hair for moisturizing?

7. Vee says

I was going to buy this as my edges around my temples are very dry due to damage, thinning and breakage. Then I remembered that I’ve got a bottle of Pro-line Comb Thru Softener. which I bought for my curly wigs. It’s not a curl activator but it’s a moisturiser and conditions hair. The first three ingredients are water, glycerine, propylene

I’ve been using the loc method for four months and the rest of my hair is soft and moisturised but edges around the temples were stubbornly remained dry and crispy . I was at a loss.

I have been using it for a week and my edges around my temples are so soft. I can’t believe that am using an old school product for men. However, it works. So not complaining

8. Nicky says

So I keep scurl as a staple so when I came across it I got excited but I noticed that the bottle looked different. I had decided to get a larger bottle and stock up , big mistake , the ‘new & improved ‘ scurl left my hair feeling crunchy and stringy … It wud feel soft later on but initially not so much … Was not a happy stretch and couldn’t wait for it to finish. Luv this product but will only buy the old formula!!

9. Gertrude says

Got same product now from my relatives in Zim and I loooooove the smell. It’s not heavy so you avoid gassing yourself before bed. I did try Checkers for Revlon, no luck but with the Scurl activator I should be ok. Thanks for the recommendation.