Black tea rinse for shedding

the tea I used

My hair has been shedding more than usual over the past 2 weeks.  I know it is shed hair because it is long with a white bulb at the end.  I know shedding hair is a normal process but I am currently shedding more hair than normal.  I think I am shedding more because of the cold.  Winter has finally arrived in my part of the world.  I decided to try out a black tea rinse to help curb the shedding.  I did my first black tea rinse last Sunday.  I followed a video by a hair blogger called Traycee of KISS.

The caffeine in black tea acts as a DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) blocker.  DHT is the hormone that is responsible for hair shedding.  The tea also promotes shine, darkens hair and enhances natural highlights in the hair.

Some women prefer to use coffee as well as many other different types as tea as well as tea infused with herbs such as lavender, rosemary, chamomile etc depending on what other benefits you desire.

I bought the black tea at my local supermarket.  It cost me about R10 (approx. US$1.25).  The box has 100 teabags.  This is how I did the rinse –

• I boiled about 1 litre of water in a pot on the stove.
  • When the water was boiling I added 4 teabags to the water and switched the stove off.
  • I let the tea bags steep in the water for about 2 hours while the water cooled.
  • I washed my hair as usual.
  • I poured the tea over may hair, concentrating on the scalp.
  • I squeezed out excess tea from my hair and put my hair under a shower cap for 30 minutes.
  • After 30 minutes I applied a deep conditioner over the tea on the hair.  I did not rinse out the tea first.  (I used Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner).
  • I then deep conditioned under a hooded dryer for 30 minutes.
  • I rinsed out the conditioner and tea and proceeded to moisturise and seal as usual.

I have only done this rinse once so I cannot yet make conclusions but I think my shedding did decrease slightly after this.  I must say though my hair was super soft after rinsing out the conditioner and tea.  It was also really shiny.  I am doing another tea rinse today (my teabags are steeping as I type this!)  I will let you know what my conclusions are on black tea rinses.

Do you do black tea rinses?  Would you recommend them?

Comments

1. Joy says

Tendayi, thank you so much for all the info you are sharing with us selflessly. I will definitely try this on Sunday when I deep condition my hair and I will give you feedback. Have a beautiful weekend and God bless you xoxo

2. says

Hi Tendayi :)
    I wanted to Know when is the best time to relax my hair(4c) I have never relaxed iT before.
    Can You tell Me when would be the best time to relax my hair.?
    tHankx xoxo.

• says

I dont think there is a best time as such. I would say relax in spring or summer simply because hair is so much easier to look after then. By the time you get round to winter you will have looked after your hair for a few months and you will likely be used to it. Trying to get round to looking after your hair in winter can be quite stressful.

• says

Thanks Heidiii. I use extra virgin cocnut oil that I buy from Dischem. It is displayed in the health food aisle in Dischem. The brand is called Millbrook.

3. Joy says

I did the black tea rinse and to be honest, I can’t say yet whether it helped to reduce the shedding but my hair was super soft. I am 8 weeks post relaxer and I always find the last 4 weeks before relaxing very challenging because of the growth and a lot of shedding. I will continue to do this twice a week when I deep condition and I will give you more feedback after 2-4 weeks xoxo

• says

The second time around for me I did experience less shedding. My hair was also very soft just like the first time. I will do it a for more times before I give a verdict.

• says

My experience was that I had to pour the black tea on my hair and leave it on for 30 minutes then deep condition my hair. The black tea on its own made my hair hard as if I had done a protein treatment. The black tea is not left on the hair but rinsed off with the conditioner.

I would say do a few black tea rinses before braids and do a few more after you take the braids out. While in braids I think it would be difficult to do.

4. Joy says

I just another black tea rinse about an hour ago when I deep conditioned. I must say that I experienced less shedding and of course my hair was also super soft. I will definitely continue doing this when I deep condition twice a week xoxo

5. Molly says

Hi T, what is the best regimen for s curl? I don’t want to go the salon for treatment, I think doing at home saves money

Trackbacks